Friday, December 15, 2017

Life is precious but fleeting.

I am on Facebook and belong to a group of people who graduated with me many years ago. Every now and then they post pictures and now updates on those who have left us and their loved ones. I just read a post that surprised me and I am not sure what to think.  The blog started "it is with sad news that I must tell everyone that has been a part of our lives, that I have now decided to join my mom in heaven may my experience with everyone be my eternal gratitude and please give my condolences to" and goes on to talk about the celebration of life planned for this person

In Canada assisted death is legal and has been for a while, and there have been stories in the paper and I have read and thought about the people and the tough decisions they had to make to end their life. All of these people have been strangers to me, this person and their story are closer to home. I went to school with this person from grade four to grade twelve and then I left and lost contact them and most, if not all, of my high school cohort. I still remember them as they were in high school. I, of course, was surprised when I saw the same people at our high school reunions.

I read the obituary and found out that this person had been in palliative care for a while and that they had a full and wonderful life. Their motto of life reflected the person that I remembered from elementary and junior high school. "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift" Another favourite saying was: "Stop worrying so much. Worry will not strip tomorrow of its burdens, it will strip today of its joy."

I don't know all of this person's story in the last few years of their life, but I understand their decision to die. I do understand and empathize with those who feel that the battle is too great and that the only way out of their suffering is to end their life. I do sense from the obituary and the comments that this person had many friends and loved ones who will miss her, but agree with her decision.

I will not be attending the Celebration of Life as it conflicts with another on the same date, but I do send my sympathy to this person and their family and loved ones in this time of grief.

My friends and I talked about the announcement coming out on Facebook and our only hope is that we do not see more of these special announcements. Life is precious but fleeting.


No comments:

Post a Comment